> Activities & Events > Witner Activities > Cross Country Skiing
Lake Louise, located in the Banff National Park, is quickly becoming a premiere destination for cross country skiing. Aside from having incredible snow, the area offers skiers a wide variety of trails, incredible mountain scenery, wildlife viewing opportunities, world class accommodations, and dining options.
Click here to view a cross country ski trail map.
Cross Country Ski Rentals
Our rental shop carries a quality line-up of cross country & touring skis and boots. Click here to view our rental equipment and rates.
Why Lake Louise?
If you're a cross country skier, or are thinking about getting into this wonderful sport, you have to come to Lake Louise! Lake Louise is truly is the perfect setting for a cross country ski destination. Here are some of the best reasons to cross country ski at Lake Louise:
- Very pretty trails in a gorgeous mountain wilderness setting.
- Many natural clearings with mountain vistas alternate with tree-lined trails.
- Traditional, narrower, more intimate XC ski trails 3 metres wide, 4 & 5 metres on hills.
- Lots of twists & turns, ups & downs to entertain the skier.
- Ski-skating on the Moraine Lake & Great Divide trails.
Great variety of XC skiing close by
- Trackset Trails (total 70 km).
- Backcountry (Light) Touring on skier-set tracks (total 150 km).
- Telemark skiing at 2 Lift-serviced areas & 3 "climb-it-yourself" areas.
- Located in Alberta’s snow belt .
- Longest ski season in Alberta – Mid November to Mid April.
- Fun & frolic in waist-deep snow by mid-February.
- Usually 1 metre of settled snow-pack beside the XC ski trails by mid-February.
- Wonderful scenery with sunshine and blue skies.
- World class downhill skiing and riding at the Lake Louise Ski Resort.
- Snowshoe trails & routes for all abilities.
- Ice skating on the iconic lake ice in front of the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.
- Hockey Rink on the iconic lake ice.
- Sleigh rides on Lakeshore trail.
- Dog sled trips on Great Divide Trail and adjacent forest trails.
Access, Facilities & Services
- Easy access from major scenic highways.
- Hotels, historic lodges, restaurants & cafes close by .
- Three full-service ski-in lodges in the backcountry close to Lake Louise.
- Two full service XC ski shops conveniently close to Lake Louise.
- National Parks Visitor Info. Centre with weather, ski trail & other info .
- Heated washrooms close to trails.
Banff National Park World Heritage Site
- An unspoiled Winter Wonderland.
- Surrounded by the "rugged Canadian Rockies".
- Limited commercial development.
- Eco-tourism opportunities.
- Opportunities to see deer, elk & sheep – but please drive safely!
- Lake Louise Loppet – Oldest mass-participation race in Western Canada (since 1973).
- Ice Sculpture Festival .
- Lake Louise to Banff XC ski relay race.
Note: Our rental shop can provide you with quality cross country ski equipment at affordable prices. Click the button below for more details