It’s the ultimate outdoor summer activity to do with your family or friends. Grab your bike and head out to Banff to begin this biking challenge along the Bow Valley Parkway (Highway 1A.) This road has been partially closed to vehicles from Banff to Castle Junction (until September 1), making it one of Canada’s most memorable & scenic bike routes. Please note: The Parkway will be closed for the Banff Marathon, on Sunday September 12th.
A 58 km ride takes you right to the quieter side of Lake Louise, at the Summer Gondola. Show the servers at Banded Peak Base Camp your Strava or Garmin activity and receive a free swag bag to take home which includes a Banded Peak beer (355ml)* and a Parkway to Pint t-shirt**!
Feeling hungry after the ride? Indulge in our specials for participants only... Choose any main menu item for $15. Plainsbreaker and Mount Crushmore pints will also be available for $6. Bask in the sun on our spacious patio away from the crowds before you make the trek back. This will surely be one of your summer bucket list items to check off the list!
If you are already in Lake Louise, you can still participate. From the Summer Gondola, take the Bow Valley Parkway down to Castle Junction and back, which is roughly the same distance.
- Pick any day from July 1 to September 19 to participate.
- Start your journey in Banff or Lake Louise & park at any of the specified locations, below.
- Track your adventure using Strava, Garmin, Map My Ride or any other app of choice.
- Ride the Bow Valley Parkway to the Lake Louise Summer Gondola (3 hour 20 min average time).
- Arrive and park your bike in our new bike corral beside the Banded Peak Base Camp (look for the flags.)
- Show the servers at the Base Camp your ride activity on your phone.
- Receive a free swag bag which includes a 355ml Banded Peak beer* and a Parkway to Pint t-shirt**.
- Additional $6 pints of Banded Peak also available to riders only plus a special lunch deal of $15 for any menu item!
- No reservations required at the Banded Peak Base Camp.
- Tables are first come, first served.
- Offer available to participants who are 18 years of age or older with a valid photo ID.
- Free t-shirt and beer are only available for pick up during the Base Camp hours of operation (see below) so please plan accordingly.
- If you aren’t up for the return trip to Banff, Roam Transit is available from the village and can take you and your bike back to your car.
- E-Bikes, Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Recumbent Bikes… use any bike to get you there!
- *Free 355ml can must be consumed offsite.
- **While supplies last.
Further info below.
Banff Parking Info
Information taken from Parks Canada’s website.
Cyclists planning to ride the Bow Valley Parkway should park at the Town of Banff Fenlands Recreation Centre or Train Station parking lots. Both are accessible via the Norquay Road entrance to the town (across from the giant Banff sign.)
From there, you ride along Vermilion Lakes Road (shared with vehicles) to the far end, then hop on the paved Legacy Trail to reach the Bow Valley Parkway or 1A.
Lake Louise Parking Info
There is plenty of free parking at the Lake Louise Summer Gondola. Start your journey here (or in town) if you are doing the Lake Louise route.
Hours of Operation
The Banded Peak Base Camp (previously Kokanee Kabin) is ready for summer!
- July 1 – Aug 16 (10:30am – 6:30pm).
- Aug 17 – Sept 7 (10:30am – 7:00pm).
- Sept 8 – Sept 19 (10:30am – 6:30pm).
Please note: The Banded Peak Base Camp is weather dependent and may close in extreme weather. To avoid disappointment, please call: +1 (403) 522-3555 prior to riding out here.
Giveaway in Partnership with Banff Soul Ski + Bike
Start the journey with Banff Soul Ski + Bike and be entered to win one of two prize packs of a 2021/22 Lake Louise Plus Card and a $100 Banff Soul Gift Card! Secondary prizes will also be up for grabs which will include some cool swag. Here’s how to enter:
- Follow @banffsoul on Instagram.
- Take a photo or video from the front of the shop at the beginning of your ride. You can post it right then or wait until you have your second photo.
- Take a second photo or video at Banded Peak Base Camp, signaling the half-way point of the ride.
- Post or share the stories by tagging @banffsoul, @skilouise, @bandedpeak_brewing as well as #parkwaytopint.
- Be automatically entered in the draw!
- The draw will take place after the final day of September 19, 2021.
*Note: This contest is not affiliated or sponsored by Instagram. We will not contact you with any links to claim your prize.*
Free Stickers, Bike Rentals & More
- Cyclists who return to Banff Soul Ski + Bike will receive a commemorative Parkway to Pint sticker.
- Pick up ride essentials before you head out: nutrition, locks, bike pumps, etc.
- Friendly & knowledgeable staff who can answer any cycling questions you may have.
- Need to rent a bike? They have you covered! Banff Cycle is set up for you to rent e-bikes or flat-bar road bikes through the Banff Soul location. Please book online before you arrive and choose Banff Soul as your pickup location.